A federal court released almost 1,000 pages of previously sealed court documents from the criminal investigation of Vincent Gray's 2010 campaign for mayor.
The heavily redacted documents focus on results of warrants involving a $650,000 shadow campaign that helped elect Gray and operated alongside Gray's legitimate campaign.
The pages offer new details of how businessman Jeffrey Thompson, who pleaded guilty, financed the shadow campaign and how a group of operatives close to Gray carried it out and how they tried to cover it up as prosecutors closed in.
The documents show the extensive search of homes, offices, bank records, Internet addresses and campaign accounts.
The investigation lasted almost five years, and a half-dozen people close to Gray pleaded guilty.
Gray denied any wrongdoing in the case and wasn’t charged in the probe, which ended in December.
Chuck Thies, the treasurer for Gray’s current campaign for the D.C. Council’s Ward 7 seat, told News4 the current campaign isn't worried about the document release.
“The campaign has zero concern about any of these court proceedings, any of the content that is in these documents,” he said. “I mean it’s clear: An independent U.S. Attorney looked at this and said Vince Gray was not involved.”
The release of the documents followed Thursday’s reports that prosecutors, in part, declined to charge Gray because of Thompson’s personal sexual history. Thompson's attorneys declined to comment.