Authorities say a report of an exploding package and white powder at a West Virginia post office turned out to be just a malfunctioning fluorescent light bulb.
Firefighter and incident spokesman Ronald Fletcher says the ``pop'' heard by postal workers in the town of Ranson was the bulb exploding. He said the reported white powder was likely smoke from the broken light.
And a suspicious package in a storage locker turned out to contain only cookies.
The scare Friday morning triggered the evacuation and temporary quarantine of 15 people.
Fletcher says a robot sent into the building found no chemical agents in the air. Authorities then X-rayed the package in question.
Despite the six-hour disruption in operations, postal authorities said the mail would still be delivered Friday.