WASHINGTON — Nearly a week after a flash floods ripped through Ellicott City, access to nearly a dozen downtown properties on Main Street remained off limits because of structural damage, according to county officials.
Late on Friday, Howard County officials also announced that escorted visits for residents and homeowners to the flood-stricken downtown had to be temporarily suspended for the second time in as many days because of the discovery of a leaning utility pole that needed to be secured. An update on Howard County’s Government Facebook page said escorted visits would resume Saturday.
The 11 still-shuttered properties span the 8000 block of Main Street through the 8300 block.
Earlier in the week, officials had to suspend the first round of escorted visits to Main Street to retrieve items and survey damage because of a potential collapse of two buildings. County officials planned to demolish those buildings.
Officials also announced on the county’s Facebook page nearly 50 vehicles that had been towed from Main Street or fished out the Patapsco River remained in the Centennial High School parking lot. Vehicle owners have until 8 p.m. Sunday to pick up their vehicles before they will be towed to a storage facility at the owner’s expense.
All told, about 250 cars were towed from the Main Street area, officials told WTOP.
The post Nearly a week after Ellicott City flood, some Main Street properties still off-limits appeared first on WTOP.