In his latest show, “An Intimate Evening of Grand Illusion,” magician David Copperfield walks through 12-foot fan blades unscathed – but at Wednesday night’s performance, one of his stage technicians wasn’t so lucky.
The technician, identified only as Brandon, was sucked into the fan during the illusion and sustained injuries to his arm and face, a rep for the magician confirmed to Access Hollywood.
According to the rep, Brandon broke his arm in multiple places. The show was halted and he was rushed from the MGM Grand Las Vegas stage to the hospital, where he had pins and bolts placed in his arm and stitches for his facial injuries during several hours of surgery.
“Many people assume that the death-defying illusions I do on stage are not dangerous,” David said in a statement to Access. “This unfortunate accident shows that couldn’t be further from the truth, and we’re just thankful that Brandon’s injuries weren’t worse.”
The magician was there when Brandon woke on Thursday morning and presented him with a children’s magic set to practice on during his recovery.
And the show, scheduled to run through January, will go on.
“No shows were cancelled due to David’s amazing, hard-working crew, after rehearsing all day to fill in for Brandon,” the rep said in a statement to Access.