Amtrak has canceled trains operating south of Washington in preparation for the arrival of Hurricane Irene. Trains are canceled for Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
As the storm continues to move north, Amtrak has issued its first cancelations north of Washington.
Additional cancellations may be necessary in the coming days as the major storm moves north, Amtrak officials said.
Passengers can call 800-USA-RAIL or visit amtrak.com for more information.
The following cancellations have been made for the origination date of Friday, Aug. 26:
- Northeast Regional Trains 67 and 83 (Boston – Newport News) will terminate in Washington.
The following cancellations have been made for origination dates of Friday, Aug. 26, Saturday, Aug. 27, and Sunday, Aug. 28:
- Auto Train Trains 52 and 53 (Sanford, Fla. – Lorton, Va.)
- Palmetto Trains 89 and 90 (New York – Savannah, Ga.)
- Silver Star Trains 91 and 92 (New York – Tampa – Miami), canceled New York to Jacksonville; train will operate between Jacksonville and Miami.
- Silver Meteor Trains 97 and 98 (New York – Miami)
The following cancellations have been made for origination dates of Saturday, Aug. 27:
- Carolinian Trains 79 and 80 (New York – Charlotte, N.C.)
- Watch Live: Hurricane Irene Coverage
- Track the storm with our interactive radar.
- Share your photos with us and other readers.
- Check the latest severe weather alerts.
- Prepare yourself and your home for the hurricane.
- By the numbers: Hurricane Irene.
- Dramatic photos of the hurricane.
- Power outages: Info from your power company.
- Complete weather coverage and News4 video forecasts.
- Hurricanes through history.
Follow us on Twitter and Facebook. Sign up for our e-mail newsletters and get breaking news delivered right to your mobile phone -- just text DCBREAKING to 622339 to sign up. (Message and data rates may apply.)