A fire inside a D.C. school building Tuesday morning trapped one city worker and injured two others.
D.C. Fire and EMS crews arrived at Shaw Junior High School around 11:30 a.m. to find smoke coming from the building. The structure appeared to be under renovation.
Firefighters rescued a trapped man using bolt cutters. He was taken to the hospital after appearing to have trouble staying conscious, they said.
Two others were also taken to the hospital.
All three are workers with the D.C. Department of General Services. Two suffered critical injuries and one had serious but non-life threatening injuries.
The fire appeared to have started from a transformer in the basement, firefighters said.
Pepco cut off power to the building, located at 901 Rhode Island Ave. NW, and firefighters extinguished the flames.