The Secret Service said a "U.S.-China strategic economic event" involving the president means that 14th Street NW will be closed between Constitution and Pennsylvania avenues off and on from 5 a.m. to 6 p.m. Confused? Join the club.
Here's another attempt at a DDOT explanation: 14th Street will remain partially open with all lanes Southbound and two lanes Northbound open with intermittent total closures throughout the day until 6 p.m.
More information from DDOT:
* Beginning at 5am DDOT will post Traffic Control Officers at strategic intersections including each intersection along 14th Street between Pennsylvania Avenue and K Street. TCOs will also be posted at 14th Street and Constitution Avenue and 12th Street and Constitution Avenue.
* In addition to DDOT TCO support, DDOT will modify traffic signal timing to accommodate the anticipated increased traffic volumes on inbound 12th Street and 7th Street as well as the left hand turn signal at 12th Street and Constitution Avenue.
* DDOT and MPD will monitor congestion using CCTV cameras and will make additional adjustments if necessary.
* DDOT is coordinating messages on Variable Message Signs with the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) to provide advance notice to motorists traveling inbound I-395 over the 14th Street Bridge. The bridge will be open.
* DDOTs Road Operations Patrol will be on-hand to address incidents that may occur in order to clear roadways quickly in the event of an accident.
Motorists are advised to take alternate routes using the Memorial or Theodore Roosevelt Bridges, alternate travel times to leave earlier or later, allow for additional travel time, telecommute or take Metro.
Motorists who use 14th Street are advised to take the following suggested detour plans:
Inbound 14th Street (Northbound)
· For northbound 14th Street, motorists from Virginia using the 14th Street Bridge should continue on the SE/SW Freeway and take the exit for 12th Street or 7th Street to access Downtown DC.
· Traffic approaching the closure at 14th Street Northbound and Constitution Ave will be directed to turn right on Constitution Ave and make a left turn on 12th Street NW to get around the closure.
Outbound 14th Street (Southbound)
· For southbound 14th Street, motorists using the 14th Street Bridge should use 9th Street and then continue on the SE/SW Freeway outbound into Virginia.
· Traffic approaching the closure at 14th Street southbound and Pennsylvania Ave will be directed to turn left on Pennsylvania Ave and make a right turn on 9th Street NW to get around the closure.