2 Officers Wounded, 1 Suspect Killed in NE DC Shooting

Two police officers were wounded and a suspect was killed in a shooting in Northeast Washington Thursday night. 

Speaking at a press conference close to midnight, Interim Police Chief Peter Newsham said both officers were shot in the lower part of their bodies.

One officer's injuries were serious; he underwent surgery late Thursday. The other was being treated in the hospital, police sources told News4. One had been released by Friday afternoon.

D.C. Police Union Treasurer Gregg Pemberton tweeted Friday morning that the officers were in stable condition and in good spirits. He said Mayor Muriel Bowser and Newsham spent time with the officers at the hospital. 

The uniformed officers -- who are with MPD's 5th District -- were shot about 10:40 p.m. near the intersection of Holbrooke and Morse streets NE, Newsham said. They had been in the area because there had been sounds of gunfire earlier in the evening.

The officers attempted to stop a suspect who then tried to run from them; after they stopped him, a struggle ensued, Newsham said Friday afternoon. During that struggle, shots were fired, he said. It appears that only one of the two officers fired, and that the suspect's gun was also discharged, he said.

Newsham he said he didn't know why the officers had tried to stop the suspect.

Police identified the suspect Friday as Timothy Lionel Williams, 47, of no fixed address. He was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Police have recovered a semi-automatic handgun from the scene that they believe was his.

Newsham said both officers had activated their body-worn cameras before the pursuit began.

"That footage is currently under review," he said Friday afternoon. 

Before Bowser can consider releasing the body cam footage to the public, she will have to consult with the U.S. Attorney's Office and the Office of the Attorney General, Newsham said. That consultation is underway, he said.

Newsham was named the District's new police chief hours before the incident. He has been the interim police chief for nearly five months. The D.C. Council is expected to approve his appointment in the coming weeks.

Earlier in the night, four men were shot in three different shootings on Wheeler Road SE, police said. They have non-life threatening injuries.

In addition to the suspect's weapon, officers recovered seven other firearms throughout the District Thursday night, Newsham said.

"...We had two of our officers that were out here. We tasked them with getting illegal firearms out of our community," Newsham said. "As a result of them being involved in that task, both of them ended up in the hospital with gunshot wounds. Our police officers should never have to experience that."

Contact Us