2 Men in Custody After Gunfire Reported Near World War II Memorial

Two men were taken into police custody Tuesday after reports of gunfire near the World War II Memorial sparked a manhunt that spanned D.C. 

A fight and possible gunfire was reported to have come from a parked white Hyundai near Independence Avenue and 17th Street SW, near the Tidal Basin, about 2:30 p.m. Two men were seen fighting in the backseat when a window blew out and the car took off. 

"The window got shot out, and then the dude was trying to squeeze out the car, and then the car drove off," one man said. 

The car with New York license plates headed north on Rock Creek Parkway, and then a gun, a Yankees baseball cap and bloody rags were found along the way, near the Kennedy Center. 

About six miles north of the initial scene at about 5 p.m., police stopped a white Hyundai with one broken window at Connecticut Avenue and Van Ness Street NW. A man in the car was taken into custody and is being questioned.

About an hour later, just after 6 p.m., people on a quiet street in Adams-Morgan were surprised to see U.S. Park Police converge on a home. Sitting on the curb of a home on Monroe Street NW was a man in handcuffs with a white cloth wrapped around his wrist in what appeared to be an improvised bandage. 

"The investigation led officers here, and the outcome was a person that Park Police wanted to question in regards to this incident." U.S. Park Police Sgt. Lelani Woods said near the home. 

The car involved in the incident was a rental, police said. 

What led to the gunfire remained a mystery Tuesday night. No one reported injuries. 

Rock Creek Parkway and westbound Independence Avenue SW were closed during the manhunt and motorists were told to avoid the area. Connecticut Avenue NW was closed between Tilden and Van Ness streets after the car was stopped, but it also has reopened.

No monuments were closed because of the incident.

At least one other person is being sought for questioning. 

Contact Us