Welding Caused Smoke at New Capitol Visitor Center

New visitor center evacuated

WASHINGTON – WASHINGTON – The D.C. Fire Department responded to reports of smoke inside the Capitol Visitor Center Friday afternoon.
The smoke was caused by workers welding in an unopened part of the center. The welding led to a small fire.
The center was evacuated and no one was allowed inside while the smoke was investigated.
The underground visitor center opened Dec. 2. It is the entry and exit point for visitors to the Capitol. Exhibits and historic artifacts help educate people while they wait for tours, and large glass skylights provide views of the famous dome. 
Contact Us