Editor's Note: Go here for the latest forecast on Thursday, July 4, 2019.
Some scattered showers made their way through Wednesday evening and Storm Team4 says chances for severe weather greatly increase on the Fourth of July holiday.
Storm Team4 declared Thursday a Weather Alert Day as more steamy, stormy weather is expected.
Widespread storms and rain could likely impact your Fourth of July plans.
Independence Day will start off on the damp side with plenty of humidity and even some fog. Expect partly sunny skies with chances of rain increasing through the early afternoon and into the late evening.
Once again, we will be dealing with scattered showers and thunderstorms, some of which could be strong to severe. Storm Team4 says there's now an 80 percent chance of storms, which could put fireworks in jeopardy.
Storm Team4 advises to have a backup plan and bring a tarp or lawn chair with you if you go out to watch fireworks since the ground may be wet.
The National Park Service says heavy rain, thunderstorms and strong winds could delay or cancel the big fireworks display.
Thursday will also be hot with temperatures in the low 90s - but it could feel close to 100 due to oppressive humidity levels.
People visiting the National Mall for the festivities can take shelter at the following buildings if there is severe weather:
- Department of Agriculture building (1400 Independence Avenue SW)
- Department of the Interior building (1849 C Street NW)
- Herbert C. Hoover Building (1401 Constitution Avenue NW)
- Internal Revenue Service building (1111 Constitution Avenue NW)
- John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts (2700 F Street NW)
- Office of Personnel Management building (1900 E Street NW)
- Ronald Reagan Building and International Trade Center (1300 Pennsylvania Avenue NW)
- Smithsonian’s Arthur M. Sackler Gallery (1050 Independence Avenue SW)
- Smithsonian Castle (1000 Jefferson Drive SW)
- Smithsonian National Museum of American History (1300 Constitution Avenue NW)
- Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History (10th Street & Constitution Avenue NW)
- Smithsonian National Museum of African Art (950 Independence Avenue SW)
- U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum (100 Raoul Wallenberg Sl. SW)
Rain chances will persist through Monday.
Stay with News4 and NBCWashington.com for updates to this forecast.