Temporary highway lane closures will be suspended across Virginia to help Independence Day travelers reach their holiday destinations.
The Virginia Department of Transportation says lane closures in temporary work zones will be lifted from noon Wednesday to noon Friday.
Travelers can check road conditions and traffic incidents on VDOT's travel information website, ww.511Virginia.org, or the mobile version for handheld devices, mobile511virginia.org. The service also can be accessed by telephone calling 511.
Officials are encouraging Virginians to plan for a safe trip by avoiding distractions, wearing your seat belt, obeying the speed limit and being courteous to other travelers.
RELATED COVERAGE ON NBCWASHINGTON.COM:
- Headed to the National Mall on July 4? Here's What You Need to Know
- 2013 Fireworks Finder: Fourth of July Bashes
- Va. State Police to Boost Patrols for July 4
- Top 5 Fourth of July Events
- D.C. Gets Ready for the Fourth of July
- Metro to Run Extra Trains for Fourth of July, But Closing at Midnight