Metro has changed its policy about notifying the public about violent crime, after a woman was raped on a Metro Red Line train in the middle of an April morning -- and news of the attack was not released for more than a month.
Metro Transit Police tweeted Tuesday that it would now notify the public of any violent crime on the same day that it happens as long as that would not hinder an investigation.
The change was at the direction of Metro General Manager Paul Wiedefeld. Wiedefeld said he had learned of the April attack on the day it happened -- though news of the rape broke only on Monday.
Then, court documents revealed a Northeast D.C. man assaulted and tried to rape a woman riding on a Red Line Metro train during rush hour.
The suspect, John Prentice Hicks, 39, is accused of forcing the victim to perform oral sex on him as he brandished a knife aboard a Red Line train traveling toward Glenmont at 10 a.m. on April 12.
Hicks is charged with first-degree attempted rape, first-degree sexual offense and second-degree assault.
The grisly incident allegedly occurred one day after a 15-year-old boy was stabbed to death at the Deanwood Station, and weeks after another teen was shot at the Deanwood station, which is along the Orange Line in Northeast D.C.
Hicks was arrested by Metro Transit police hours after the incident. He was also identified last week in an ongoing sexual assault case in Montgomery County, police said.
The quick arrest is one reason that Metro said it did not disclose the rape earlier.
Hicks, of 16th Place in Northeast D.C., is being held without bond.