Why is diesel fuel more expensive than regular gas? What's the safest way to get rid of old medication? What's the best time of year to buy furniture and appliances?
In case you missed it... here are the answers to this week's "Ask Liz."
Why is diesel fuel more expensive than regular gas? The Energy Information Administration says:
- Diesel fuel has been more expensive in recent years because of higher demands around the world.
- The transition to diesel fuel with lower pollution rates has also affected production and costs.
- The federal tax for diesel fuel is six cents per gallon more than regular gasoline, which adds to the cost.
What's the safest way to get rid of old medication? The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration and the Fish and Wildlife Services told us that:
- The best thing to do is grind up any unused pills or simply dissolve them in water. Dilute liquid medications, too.
- Then, mix the drugs with coffee grounds, kitty litter or sawdust. Place the mixture in a sealed plastic bag and toss it in the trash.
- You can also try your local pharmacy. Some have a drug take-back program.
- However, don't flush unused drugs down the toilet -- there's evidence they end up in the water supply.
What's the best time of year to buy furniture and appliances? Kiplinger's Personal Finance Magazine says:
- September and October are the best months to buy appliances, because new models are hitting showrooms. You can often get a great deal on older models.
- For furniture, the best month is July. New furniture gets to showrooms during mid-summer, and you can save anywhere from 10 to 50 percent on old items as retailers make room for new inventory.
Don't miss a new "Ask Liz" every Friday during News4 at 4 and News4 at 5.
Got a question for "Ask Liz"? Send any consumer questions to email@example.com.
Fan, Follow and Text: Get the latest from NBCWashington.com anytime, anywhere. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook. Sign up for our e-mail newsletters and get breaking news delivered right to your mobile phone -- just text DCBREAKING to 622339 to sign up. (Message and data rates may apply.)