Already anticipating cherry blossom-related tourist stress? We're heading into about six weeks of no one standing to the right on Metro, after all.
Here's one upside of the season, though: Cherry blossom-inspired drinks are popping up all over town, most of them available from March 20 to April 27 (the dates of the festival). We'll keep this list updated throughout the season for all your imbibing needs.
- Asia Nine (915 E St. NW): Cherry Bellini ($9), made with sparkling wine, fresh mint cherry puree and a dash of cherry liqueur. Iced Cherry Cider ($9), fresh apple cider, maraschino cherry syrup, housemade lemonade.
- Bar Dupont (1500 New Hampshire Ave. NW): Cherry Mojitos and Berry Blossom cocktails.
- BRABO by Robert Wiedmaier (1600 King St., Alexandria): Hot Cherry Mess ($13), made with Macchu Pisco, Szechuan peppercorn spiced syrup, housemade cherry jam, lemon juice, eggwhite foam and cherry bitters.
- Firefly (1310 New Hampshire Ave. NW): Sakura Sling ($6 during happy hour; otherwise $12): cherry- and vanilla bean-infused Ketel One with Leopold Brothers Michigan tart cherry liqueur, simple syrup and a splash of soda in a Collins glass.
- Founding Farmers (1924 Pennsylvania Ave. NW): Sour Chery Smash ($12), made with Founding Farmers Rye Whiskey, freshly muddled fermented sour cherries, lemon, bitters and simple syrup.
- The Grille at Morrison House (116 S. Alfred St., Alexandria): Sour Cherry Fizz ($12), made with sour cherry juice, Tanqueray gin, lemon juice, simple syrup, egg white and a splash of club soda. Smoked Cherry Old Fashioned ($12), made with Maker's Mark, bitters, house-smoked cherry syrup and garnished with a smoked cherry and a slice of orange.
- J&G Steakhouse (515 15th St. NW): Gin Cherry Blossom ($13), made with Hendrick's Gin, Cherry Yuzu, club soda and Thai basil leaves.
- Jackson 20 (480 King St., Alexandria): Cherry Picnic ($10), made with ginger liqueur, spiced rum, fresh sour mix and Campari wash.
- Poste Moderne Brasserie (555 8th St. NW): For Heaven's Sake ($12), made with house-made pomegranate soda, Tozai sake, vodka, Maraschino liqueur and fresh lemon juice.
- Screwtop Winebar (1025 N. Fillmore St., Arlington): Cherry Blossom cocktail ($10), made with cava and black cherry juice.
- Urbana (2121 P St. NW): Tuscan Flor ($13), made with cherry and and apple purée, vodka, yuzu and prosecco and served with a brandied cherry garnish.
- Outside of the cocktail realm, try a crisp Cherry Blossom Ale, available through April 27 at Capitol City Brewing Company (1100 New York Ave. NW and 4001 Campbell Ave., Arlington) and 901 Restaurant & Bar (901 9th St. NW). "The Cherry Blossom Ale is a medium to light bodied beer made with 336lbs of real fresh cherries. This distinctive brew is low hopped creating a sensational taste and aroma with a 5.5% ABV," say the brewers.