The 72-minute film features Will Allen, an activist farmer who won the 2008 MacArthur Genius Award. You'll also get to see a local favorite -- Joel Salatin, of Polyface Farms. Salatin was made famous in Michael Pollan's "Omnivore's Dilemma" and just about stole the show in the movie "Food, Inc."
Filmmaker Ana Sofia Joanes will be there after the show to discuss the film, and Salatin will join in via phone.
This is at the National Geographic Society at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $15-$18.
Also showing Wednesday:
- "The Last Giants." 90 minutes. The life of whales in the Straits of Gibraltar as climate change begins to rule and ruin their world. Goethe-Institut, 7:15 p.m. Free.
- "Yo Soy El Otro." 84 minutes. Five activists from five countries around the world struggle to save their cultures in the face of global corporate domination. In Spanish. 7 p.m. Embassy of Venezuela.
- "The Green House: Design It. Build It. Live It." 90 minutes. A documentary that looks at the green house recently built in McLean, Va., that is eco-conscious from the ground up. This house, among other things, highlights eco-interior design -- couches, bedding and fabrics are all soy, plant based and chemical free. It's a beauty. 7 p.m. E Street Cinema. $10.
- "Un Petit Coin De Paradis." 85 minutes. Turning a ghost town into an eco-village to restore harmony and create a holistic experience in development. It will be shown with "Peripheria," an 8-min. animated short about what happens when there are no longer any open spaces in Switzerland. Embassy of Switzerland. 6:30 p.m. Free.
- "One Degree Matters." 57 minutes. Documentary about the latest scientists on Greenland explaining what is the effect of warming the climate by just one degree. AED Globe Theater. 6:30 p.m. Free.
- "Exotic Homeland." 52 minutes. How foreign species are taking over the rivers, fields and forests of Germany and how that threatens the natural order of the food chain. Goethe-Institut. 6 p.m. Free.
- A collection of childrens shorts: "The Goat That Ate Time, "Wishful Thinking," "Cravings," "Smart Machine," "Chicken of the Sea." 25 minutes total. Palisades Neighborhood Library. 1:30 p.m. Free.
- "Jonathan Bird's Blue World." Award-winning family-oriented TV series featuring marine naturalist and underwater photographer Jonathan Bird. Town Hall Education Arts and Recreation Campus. 10:30 a.m. Free.