Earth Day is Sunday, April 22. Check out events for this weekend and next, plus enviromentally friendly freebies and deals.
EARTH DAY EVENTS:
- Earth Day on the National Mall features performances from Cheap Trick, Dave Mason, Kicking Daisies and Explorers Club. You'll also find a youth rally, voter registration, interactive exhibits and more. Sunday, April 22; 11 a.m.-7 p.m.; free..
- Poste Moderne Brasserie (555 8th St. NW) celebrates with Oysterstock in its courtyard on Sunday, April 22. Chow down on Rappahannock and War Shore oysters, a collaborative lamb and clams dish, and picnic fare from the Poste kitchen such as house-made grilled sausages, coleslaw, and mac & cheese. Local's the word of the day, actually with brews DC Brau and Port City, Virginia wines, and live entertainment comes from three local bands. Proceeds go to the Oyster Recovery Partnership. Sunday, April 22; 2-7 p.m.; $75.
- Join volunteers to help restore Georgetown's historic Dumbarton Oaks Park. "They will welcome you with gloves and tools and joy when you join them in clipping, pruning and sawing their way through the park," said Ann Aldrich, executive director of the Dumbarton Oaks Park Conservancy, according to the Georgetown Dish. Wanna help out? Meet at the top of Lovers Lane on R Street at 8 a.m. Sunday, April 22; 8 a.m.-noon. Email email@example.com for more info.
- The Aveda Institute hosts its third annual Pure Imagination Show on Saturday, April 28. Go for cocktails, confections and a hair and makeup show featuring the work of future Aveda artists. Enjoy specialty cocktails and DJ-spun tunes. Proceeds benefit clean water projects through the Gulf Restoration Network and Global Green Grant. Saturday, April 28; reception 7-8 p.m.; show 8-10 p.m.; VIP $40; general admission $20 or $25 day of.
- The fourth annual Earth Day 5K is Sunday, April 29 -- yes, a week after Earth Day -- to benefit the Nature Conservancy. The race begins at Pacers Silver Spring (8535 Fenton St., Silver Spring, Md.). Sunday, April 29; 8 a.m.; registration $30 through April 28; $35 on the day of the race.
EARTH DAY DEALS:
- Caribou Coffee will give free coffee to all customers who bring in a reusable mug on Sunday, April 22.
- Verizon Wireless will plant a tree for each old device traded in through April 26.
- Sprint is offering customers up to $150 in credit for recycling eligible wireless devices with them, even if its from other carriers. Sprint will also pay for shipping the device.
- Target is giving away free reusable bags on Tuesday, April 22 (while supplies last). Ask for yours at Customer Service.