Saturday, Sept. 10 only:
- The annual Black Family Reunion on the National Mall offers themed pavilions (kids, sports/fitness, day spa and more), a health fair, a cultural exchange talent stage, and more. A Dorothy Height tribute concert, featuring Faith Evans, begins at 5:30 p.m. 8 a.m.-8:30 p.m.; free admission to Mall events; $40 for prayer breakfast.
- The Rosslyn Jazz Festival features national and local performers in Gateway Park (1300 Lee Highway, Arlington). Grammy and Tony winner Dee Dee Bridgewater headlines at 5:15 p.m. 1-7 p.m.; free admission. Parking available for $5 beginning at 11 a.m. at 1911 N. Fort Myer Drive.
- The Silver Spring Jazz Festival comes to Veterans Plaza at the Silver Spring Civic Building (intersection of Fenton Street and Ellsworth Drive) with outdoor performances from Marcus Johnson, La Leyenda, Sheila Ross, and Project Natalie. 3:30-10:30 p.m.; free admission.
Saturday, Sept. 10 and Sunday, Sept. 11:
- The Washington Examiner's Arts on Foot Festival includes live music, restaurant and wine tastings, a juried artists' market, hands-on activities hosted by galleries, and more. Food trucks will also be hovering near the fest area, which will be centered around 8th and F streets N.W. Sat. 11 a.m.-7 p.m.; Sun. 11 a.m.-6 p.m.; free admission.
- The Alexandria Festival of the Arts sprawls along King Street in Old Town, displaying art with prices ranging from $20 to $20,000. Artists come from across the U.S. and from Mexico to compete for jury prizes. You'll also find -- we know you're shocked -- food vendors. Sat. 10 a.m.-7 p.m.; Sun. 10 a.m.-5 p.m.; free admission.
- The Maryland Seafood Fest features recipe and cooking contests, a performance by Cowboy Mouth and other bands, and a crabcake eating contest at Sandy Point State Park in Annapolis. (See complete event schedule here.) VIP tickets includes exclusive parking; beer, wine and soda in VIP area; a seafood sampler card; a private tent area and private restrooms. 11 a.m.-7 p.m.; $10 online; $12 at the gate; $75 VIP package.
- The Prince George's County Fair has all the nausea-inducing rides you'd expect, plus live music from Ernie Fields ("Some Kind of Wonderful"), dance teams and chain saw artists (yes, really). The state's oldest running fair also showcases bull riding and barrel racing for the first time this year. It's happening at the Prince George's County Equestrian Center and the Showplace Arena, Water St., Upper Marlboro, Md. $6 admission for age 12 and older; $5 ages 6-11; free for kids under five; free parking.
- The Great Grapes Festival (Reston Town Center, 11921 Freedom Drive, Reston, Va.) runs two days, showcasing more than 200 wines and 20 Virginia wineries. Shop arts and craft vendors, catch food and wine demos, and catch live music. Admission includes a souvenir wine glass, unlimited samples, all performances and cooking demonstrations. Admission includes a souvenir wine glass and unlimited samples. Starts at noon with last call at 5:45 p.m. both days. One-day ticket $20 in advance online or $25 on-site. Two-day ticket $35 in advance only. Designated driver ticket $15 in advance or $20 on-site.
Sunday, Sept. 11 only:
- The 9/11 Day of Service offers ways to volunteer your time on the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks. Sign up to clean parks, help the homeless, participate in disaster training and more. Details here.
- Adams Morgan Day is one of the District's most popular street fests. Find exhibits, activities and performances in the Dance Plaza, Green Pavilion, Pet Zone and more. Food and craft vendors, and music ranging from Salvadorean to bluegrass to nu jazz/funk round out the day. Saturday, Sept. 11. Noon-7 p.m.; free admission.
- Takoma Park Folk Festival includes juried crafts exhibits, kids' activities, and performances (PDF schedule) on seven stages (four outdoors; three indoors) at Takoma Park Middle School (7611 Piney Branch Road, Takoma Park, Md.), plus nearly two dozen food vendors. Saturday, Sept. 11. 10:30 a.m.-6:30 p.m.; free admission.
Check Out the Scene: Keep up with what's happening in the D.C. area anytime, anywhere. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook, sign up for our e-mail newsletters, download our iPhone app or join our Flickr group.