Banks's Lung Nicked in Stabbing: Agent - NBC4 Washington

Latest News About Washington's Team

Banks's Lung Nicked in Stabbing: Agent

Redskins kick returner under care of team physician



    Meet a Former Radio City Rockette Who Got Her Life Back
    Getty Images
    PHILADELPHIA - OCTOBER 03: Brandon Banks #16 of the Washington Redskins is tripped up during the first half against the Philadelphia Eagles on October 3, 2010 at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Jim McIsaac/Getty Images)

    Washington Redskins wide receiver and kick returner Brandon Banks has been moved to Virginia Hospital Center in Arlington, Va., where he is under the care of team physician Dr. Anthony Casolaro, his agent said Wednesday.

    Banks and his good friend Christopher Nixon were stabbed in an altercation outside The Park at 14th nightclub at about 3 a.m. Saturday. Jason Shorter, 24, of Lanham, Md., is charged in the incident.

    "The knife nicked his lung creating a pneumothorax condition," agent James Gould's statement read. "He still has a chest tube inserted and it will remain until the wound heals and the lung remains inflated."

    Pneumothorax is a collapsed lung -- a buildup of air in the space around the lungs that puts pressure on the lung so it can't expand as much as usual.

    Tube in Brandon Banks Chest Designed to Drain Air, Blood

    [DC] Tube in Brandon Banks Chest Designed to Drain Air, Blood
    Dr. Jack Sava with the Washington Hospital Center talks about treating injuries such as the one sustained by Brandon Banks in a weekend stabbing.
    (Published Wednesday, Feb. 16, 2011)

    The tube, which drains air and blood, is expected to be removed by Friday, Gould said. Banks should be released within 48 hours and resuming offseason training in two to four weeks.

    Banks is doing well, Gould said. They had hoped the tube would come out Wednesday, but the lung didn't remain inflated.

    NBC Washington has also learned the Park at 14th will not be disciplined because of the incident because Banks and Nixon had not yet entered the club when the altercation took place.