Los Angeles

Colin Farrell Says He’s Joining Second Season of “True Detective”

Par7221311
AFP/Getty Images

Colin Farrell says he will star in HBO's True Detective's upcoming second season, according to an interview published in the Irish newspaper The Sunday World, cited by multiple outlets, including The New York Times. The cable network had no immediate comment. A source close to the matter had told E! News in July that the Irish actor was being considered for a role.

"I'm doing the second series. I'm so excited," The Sunday World quoted Farrell as saying.

Details about his character were not revealed. Farrell told the newspaper that he knew "very little" about season 2, other than that it will be eight episodes and will be filmed in the Los Angeles area.

The 38-year-old actor is known for roles in movies such as "Daredevil," "Phone Booth" and the 2012 reboot of "Total Recall." "True Detective" marks his first regular television role since he starred on the BBC show "Ballykissangel" in 1998 and 1999. He also made a guest appearance on "Scrubs" in 2005.

READ: Colin Farrell talks about his wild years in Hollywood

The first season of "True Detective" featured Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson as detectives Rust Cohle, a mysterious but brilliant investigator with a troubled past, and the womanizing Marty Hart, who partner up and must put aside their differences to try to work together to find a serial killer in Louisiana. The second season will feature a new plot line with new characters.

"True Detective" was created and written by Nic Pizzolatto and helmed by director Cary Joji Fukunaga, who won an Emmy for it. The creator and the actors were also nominated. They lost to Bryan Cranston, who won for "Breaking Bad."

VIDEO: The Soup: Can anyone understand "True Detective"?

In July, HBO president Michael Lombardo told reporters the first two scripts of season 2 of "True Detective" are "more exciting" than the first season and would feature "well-known actors." Pizzolatto had said in June that the new installment would feature a "strong" female character as well.

In August, E! News learned that "Mad Men" star Elisabeth Moss and Vince Vaughn were in talks to join the show. Jessica Chastain was previously rumored to be in the running for a part but the reports were later debunked.

PHOTO: The Soup presents: "True Detective" spinoffs

Copyright E! Online
Contact Us