2 Dead, 1 Injured in Shooting at Florida Mall: Police - NBC4 Washington
National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

2 Dead, 1 Injured in Shooting at Florida Mall: Police



    Empowering Students with Technology

    A shooting Saturday morning at a mall in central Florida left two people dead and one other injured in what police called a "domestic situation."

    Police in Melbourne, Florida, said the gunman — identified as Jose Garcia Rodriguez, 57 — shot his wife, Ida Garcia, 33. Melbourne Police said they believe Rodriguez then turned the gun on himself and died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

    Police said the wife, who is a mall employee who works in the food court, was the intended target. She was listed in good condition at a hospital Saturday afternoon.

    Police did not confirm the name of the deceased person or specify that person's relationship with Rodriguez or Garcia. 

    Melbourne Police received a phone call of shots fired at 9:31 a.m. ET. Officers reported hearing gunshots as they arrived on scene. When they entered the mall they encountered the three victims.

    About 100 people were at the mall getting ready to open their businesses when shots rang out.
    No other threats were located after a search of the building store by store, police said.

    Cathy Wright, who works at the Starbucks in the food court, told NBC News that she heard "about three or four gunshots" in "rapid succession." Mall security told her, another employee, and two customers to stay in the store, Wright said.

    Jeff Gross, who works at the Rodizio Grill in the mall's food court, told NBC News he heard five or six gunshots from the restaurant's kitchen. His co-worker ran from the front of the restaurant, saying, "There's a shooting, we have to get out." The employees went through a back entrance to get outside. Gross said he saw two victims being transported by an ambulance about five minutes later.

    Police said in a tweet before 10:40 a.m. ET the shooter was "contained" and that they were clearing the mall store by store.

    The shooting took place adjacent to the food court. Police said they found three firearms and said the suspected shooter had several pockets full of ammunition.

    Mall officials posted a statement to Facebook saying the mall was closed until further notice as police investigate.

    Local television news broadcasts showed yellow police tape stretched across a mall entrance and the parking lot.