France Launches New Airstrikes Against ISIS Capital - NBC4 Washington
National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

France Launches New Airstrikes Against ISIS Capital

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    France Launches New Airstrikes Against ISIS Capital
    AP
    This image made from video released by the French Army Communications Audiovisual office (ECPAD) shows a French army jet taking off from a site in Jordan to strike at Islamic State group targets Sunday, Nov. 15, 2015. France launched "massive" air strikes on the Islamic State group's de-facto capital in Syria Sunday night, destroying a jihadi training camp and a munitions dump in the city of Raqqa, where Iraqi intelligence officials say the attacks on Paris were planned.

    France launched fresh airstrikes on the Islamic State stronghold of Raqqa in Syria days after attacks in Paris linked to the group killed at least 129 people. 

    French military spokesman Col. Gilles Jaron said the strikes destroyed a command post and training camp and come a day after President Francois Hollande vowed to forge a united coalition capable of defeating the jihadists at home and abroad.

    Addressing lawmakers after France observed a minute's silence to honor the dead and the 350 wounded, Hollande said the victims came from at least 19 nations, and the international community, led by the United States and Russia, must overcome their deep-seated divisions over Syria to destroy Islamic State on its home turf.

    "Friday's acts of war were decided and planned in Syria," Hollande told Parliament in a rare joint session convened at the Palace of Versailles. "They were organized in Belgium and perpetrated on our soil with French complicity with one specific goal: to sow fear and to divide us."

    Syria, the president said, has become "the biggest factory of terrorism the world has ever known and the international community is still too divided and too incoherent."

    French and other Western intelligence agencies face an urgent challenge to track down the surviving members of the three Islamic State units who inflicted the unprecedented bloodshed in France and, perhaps more importantly, to target their distant commanders in IS-controlled parts of Syria.

    A French security official said anti-terror intelligence officials had identified Abdelhamid Abaaoud, a Belgian of Moroccan descent, as chief architect of last Friday's attacks on a rock concert, a soccer game and popular nightspots in one of Paris' trendiest districts.

    The official cited chatter from IS figures that Abaaoud had recommended a concert as an ideal target for inflicting maximum casualties, as well as electronic communications between Abaaoud and one of the Paris attackers who blew himself up.

    The official spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss the sensitive investigation.

    Abaaoud came to public attention last year by boasting in an IS propaganda video about his pride in piling the dead bodies of "infidel" enemies into a trailer. Anti-terror agencies previously linked him to a series of abortive shooting plots this year in Belgium and France, including a planned attack on a passenger train that was thwarted by American passengers who overpowered the lone gunman.

    French police have used emergency powers to conduct 168 searches since Sunday night that netted 127 arrests and 31 weapons.

    French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said police seized a Kalashnikov assault rifle, three automatic pistols and a bulletproof vest from a suspected arms dealer with jihadist sympathies, and a rocket launcher and other military-grade gear from his parents' home.

    But police have yet to announce the capture of anyone suspected of direct involvement in Friday's slaughter. Seven attackers died — six after detonating suicide belts and a seventh from police gunfire — but Iraqi intelligence officials told The Associated Press that its sources indicated 19 participated in the attack and five others provided hands-on logistical support.