'Freak Accident' at Utah Pool Sickens Dozens With Chlorine Gas - NBC4 Washington
National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

'Freak Accident' at Utah Pool Sickens Dozens With Chlorine Gas

Patients who inhaled the gas could have chronic respiratory issues

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Empowering Students with Technology
    Getty Images/iStockphoto

    Chlorine gas has sickened dozens of swimmers at a Utah public pool in what police called a freak accident.

    A pump malfunctioned Tuesday and forced too much chlorine out of a jet at Pleasant Grove Veterans Memorial Pool about 36 miles (58 kilometers) south of Salt Lake City, Pleasant Grove Police Capt. Britt Smith said.

    About 50 people, mostly children, were sickened and ambulances took more than 20 people to hospitals, Smith said. The chlorine caused people to cough, vomit and bleed from their noses, he said.

    Martha Vickers said she grabbed her children and ran when the gas enveloped them.

    Death Toll, Damages Climb From Typhoon Hagibis

    [NATL] Death Toll, Damages Climb From Typhoon Hagibis

    The death toll from Typhoon Hagibis climbed to 53 on Tuesday, days after it tore through Japan and left hundreds of thousands of homes wrecked, flooded or out of power. Hagibis caused more than 200 rivers to overflow when it hit the island nation on Saturday.

    (Published Tuesday, Oct. 15, 2019)

    "I just turned around and saw some bubbling from the pool — some yellow bubbling — and I knew it wasn't good," Vickers told KSL-TV .

    Vickers saw people coughing and gagging as they left the pool. Her 2-year-old nephew was among those being treated, she said.

    Patients who inhaled the gas could have chronic respiratory issues, said Nathan Miller, an emergency room doctor at the American Fork Hospital where some of the patients were taken.

    "The more serious patients have some wheezing and then even more serious that their oxygen numbers drop and they require oxygen, then require breathing treatments," Miller said. "Essentially, it would be like a severe asthma attack where they could potentially suffocate."

    Doctors at an Orem hospital treated 15 children and one adult, with three admitted to its pediatric intensive care unit, Timpanogos Regional Hospital officials said.