The Consumer Product Safety Commission issued seven hoverboard recalls Tuesday due to fire and explosion hazards.
This is not the first time CPSC has issued hoverboard recalls. CPSC is aware of more than 250 hoverboard incidents related to fires since 2015, the commission said in a safety alert.
A 2-year-old girl and a 10-year-old girl died in a house fire in March that was sparked by a hoverboard in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. The CPSC has also received reports of 13 people burned by hoverboards, three smoke inhalation injuries, and more than $4 million in property damage linked to the scooters.
The CPSC says that hoverboards' lithium-ion battery packs can overheat, causing the boards to catch fire or explode. Owners should look for a "UL 2272" certification label to make sure their scooter is complaint. Hoverboards sold before Jan. 29, 2016, are not UL 2272 compliant.
"However, even UL 2272 compliance cannot guarantee that a hoverboard will not overheat or catch fire," the CPSC warns.
Here is information on the seven new recalls:
For more information visit CPSC's hoverboard information center.