At least four people were killed and 27 others wounded within 16 hours across Chicago.
The number of shootings from Friday afternoon to Saturday morning is more than half the total number shot over a violent Easter weekend.
The weekend’s latest fatality took place just after 2 a.m. Saturday in the 5500 block of West North Avenue.
U.S. & World
The day's top national and international news.
A 17-year-old boy was standing on the block when a man dressed in all black approached him from behind and fired, striking him in the head, police said. The teen was pronounced dead at the scene.
Less than an hour earlier, a 22-year-old man was fatally shot in the chest in the 5400 block of South Winchester Avenue in the Back of the Yards neighborhood.
Police said the man was pronounced dead at the scene and a 19-year-old woman who was shot in the leg was taken in stable condition to Mount Sinai Hospital.
The two were shot when someone fired into a home from outside, striking them both.
Police are conducting a homicide investigation.
- Neighbors' Feud Escalates to Fatal Shooting
- Explosion Levels Home in Northwest Suburb
- Woman Wakes Up to Man Tugging on Her Shirt, Pants
On Friday, officers said they heard shots fired around 10:30 p.m. in the 1300 block of West 116th Street.
Officers responded to the scene where they found a woman sitting in a parked vehicle with gunshot wounds.
The 32-year-old woman, later identified as Leonore Draper, was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center with wounds to arm and chest. She was later pronounced dead, according to Chicago Police News Affairs Officer Jose Estrada.
Earlier Friday, an off-duty police officer shot his neighbors, one of them fatally, after one neighbor shot and injured the officer’s wife in an argument that stemmed from a long-running feud between the two couples.
At least 24 others have been shot since Friday.
- Around 5:25 a.m. police said a 19-year-old man was shot while riding in a vehicle on South Lake Shore Drive. The teen was in a vehicle traveling southbound in the 1200 block of South Lake Shore Drive when a white minivan pulled alongside and an occupant fired at the victim’s car, Estrada said. The victim was driven to Jackson Park hospital with wounds to his buttocks.
- At 2:35 a.m., police said a 17-year-old woman was sitting in parked minivan with other passengers in the 1300 block of South California Avenue after leaving a party in the area. An armed male offender on the sidewalk began firing at a group of men across the street, who returned fire, officials said. The van was struck multiple times during the shootout but only the 17-year-old woman was struck by a bullet. She was taken in critical condition to Mount Sinai Hospital with a wound to the head, according to authorities.
- A 41-year-old man was shot around 2:20 a.m. while approaching a group of people arguing across the street from his home in the 1500 block of East Marquette Road. Police said the man was sitting on his porch when he heard a group arguing across the street and attempted to approach them. The man said he heard a gunshot and felt pain in his upper right leg. He was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in stable condition.
- Also at 2:20 a.m., a man in his 20s walked into Roseland Hospital with gunshot wounds to his right leg and right testicle. Police said the victim and his companions would not give hospital staff or officers their names or any details surrounding the shooting. Officials said the wounds may have been self-inflicted.
- Around 1:30 a.m., a 27-year-old man was shot while driving in the 4300 block of South Prairie Avenue, police said. Someone in a green minivan opened fire at the victim’s vehicle, police said, and the victim suffered a graze wound to the chest. He was driven by a friend to Provident Hospital and later transported to John H. Stroger Jr., Hospital of Cook County in stable condition.
- Two people were shot around 12:40 a.m. in the 5100 block of South Wood Street. Two teens were standing on a sidewalk when two offenders opened fire from an alley, police said. A 14-year-old boy was shot in the left leg and taken to Comer Children’s Hospital and a 19-year-old man, who was also shot in the leg, was taken to Holy Cross Hospital. Both were listed in stable condition.
- At the same time, four people were shot while standing in the 2700 block of West 42nd Street. Police said a 20-year-old was shot in the head and taken in critical condition to Mount Sinai Hospital. Three others, ages 22, 23 and 27, were taken to Stroger Hospital, two in stable condition and one in critical.
- About 15 minutes earlier two men were shot in the 5000 block of West Erie Street. A 21-year-old man and a 24-year-old woman were sitting on a front porch with a group of people when an armed man fired at the group and fled on foot. The man was shot in the right buttocks, left ankle and left forearm and was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in stable condition. The woman suffered wounds to her right cheek and was transported to West Suburban Medical Center.
Eleven others were shot Friday afternoon and evening.