Woodbridge Teen Daniel Anders Remembered by Friends, Family

A 17-year-old boy who died after an apparent "Molly" overdose at a Maryland music festival was remembered by his friends and family during a vigil Wednesday night. 

Daniel Anders and 20-year-old Tyler Fox Viscardi both passed away just hours after being hospitalized for drug overdoses during the Mad Decent Block Party concert last Friday at Merriweather Post Pavilion.

Police believe both men had used Molly, a purer form of ecstasy.

Anders' friends spoke to News4's Northern Virginia Bureau reporter David Culver, still shell-shocked by the loss of one of their close friends.

"He was just always a positive guy ... [he was] never down, no matter what," Daniel Gonzalez said. 

According to Diane Eckert with the United Prevention Coalition of Fairfax County, a rising number of students admit taking Molly.

"Molly is really a concern in the summer time when the kids are going to the big concerts and the younger ones have more freedom and they're going to the clubs," Eckert said.

Even more concerning are the higher numbers among Fairfax County teens -- 800 admit they have used the drug.

"It's just this generation," Gonzalez said. "I know there's a lot of people who 'live in the moment' and they don't really think about what kind of consequences it could bring them. 

Eckert recommends you talk to your children about drugs.

"They are 50 percent less likely to experiment with these drugs," Eckert said. 

Just last month, Fairfax County police reported a seizure of more than 50 pounds of Molly pills. 

Contact Us