Virginia Man Charged With DUI, Manslaughter in Crash That Killed Two on Motorcycle

Lawyer is facing DUI and manslaughter charges in a crash that killed an Ashburn, Va., couple

A lawyer is facing DUI and manslaughter charges in a crash that killed an Ashburn, Va., couple over the weekend. 

Ashburn couple Ricky and Leia Wrenn would have celebrated their seventh anniversary next week. Instead, their loved ones are making funeral arrangements after the Navy veteran and his wife were killed early Sunday morning.

They were just about a mile from home, together on their Harley Davidson motorcycle, when they were struck and killed by an alleged drunk driver, behind the wheel of a BMW sedan.

"It's hit me but it hasn't sunk in yet," Kyle Wrenn, Ricky Wrenn's son who shares an Ashburn townhome with the couple. "I woke up this morning you know, and I expect my dad to be there. I expect my mom to be there. I walk down in the morning and they are there. It's not like that anymore. It's just hard to believe."

Tonya Brill is Leia Wrenn's daughter.

"There's no words that can describe the type of person she was -- such an amazing woman," Brill said. "If I could only live up to be half the woman she was I'd be proud of myself."

A lawyer, who is also an Ashburn resident, faces two counts of aggravated involuntary manslaughter and a DUI charge in connection with the crash.

Mark Sgarlata, 52, appeared via closed-circuit TV in a Loudoun County courtroom this morning. Sheriff's department investigators say Sgarlata was driving a BMW sedan around 1 a.m. Sunday when he turned left into a shopping center from Ashburn Farm Parkway and crashed into a motorcycle.

Court documents say a breath test at the scene showed a .223 alcohol level and one taken later registered .15, almost twice the legal limit.

A deputy at the scene wrote in the arrest records, "Sgarlata had slurred speech with a heavy odor of alcohol coming from his breath. Sgarlata was unsteady on his feet and was found with his pants unbuckled and shirt unbuttoned. Mr. Sgarlata admitted to drinking 5 glasses of wine before the crash."

Sgarlata was not injured in the crash and is being held without bond and faces a hearing Nov. 20.

News4 uncovered Sgarlata was arrested for DUI in March 2011, but the charge was pleaded down to a reckless driving charge. He had a restricted license for six months.

Relatives say 46-year-old Ricky Wrenn was a manager for ADT Security Systems, overseeing security at Dulles National Airport and Reagan National Airport. The Wrenns were motorcycle enthusiasts and belonged to the Iron Order Motorcycle Club.

They had spent Sunday with the group before heading home.

"We spent the last day of their life with them. We do have that to hold on to," said Debbie Hale, a close friend from the club. "They were absolutely wonderful people, full of life, always's just devastating they are gone."

Her husband Tim Hale said he has received dozens of calls since word spread of the Wrenns' death.

"I feel like I've known them my whole life," Tim Hale said. "Our chapter, our club is waiting for what this family needs."

Contact Us