Metro (WMATA)

Red Line Metro Cars Uncouple in 2nd Such Incident in 2 Months

Passengers were removed from the train

Emergency vehicles are shown outside the Glenmont Metro station.

A railcar separated from a Metro train near the Glenmont station in Montgomery County, Maryland, Tuesday afternoon, marking the second time this has happened on the Red Line in less than two months.

The railcar separated from another car about 1 p.m., as the train was leaving the end-of-the-line Glenmont station in the direction of Wheaton. Twelve passengers were aboard, Montgomery County Fire & Rescue spokesman Pete Piringer said.

"Fortunately, there were no serious injuries, or no fire, smoke or anything of that nature," Piringer said.

The passengers were removed from the train, Piringer said.

Metro called the incident an "undesired uncoupling."

Red Line service was suspended between Glenmont and Forest Glen for several hours but was restored with delays, Metro said on Twitter shortly before 5:20 p.m. Normal service resumed by about 6:20 p.m.

Piringer said Montgomery County Fire & Rescue received a call about the incident shortly after 1 p.m. and dispatched units to both the Glenmont and Wheaton stations. The train was stuck in a tunnel just outside the Glenmont station, perhaps fewer than 100 yards from the platform, Piringer said.

Rescue crews evaluated the passengers. One person was taken to a hospital with a non-life-threatening condition "somewhat unrelated to the event," involving a medical issue, Piringer said.

Metro was investigating the incident, Piringer said.

Credit: Washington Metrorail Safety Commission

Metro said it is temporarily sidelining its fleet of 6000-series railcars following the incident. All 6000-series cars are expected to be removed from passenger service by Tuesday night, Metro said. The suspension will remain in effect until investigators fully understand the underlying causes and contributing factors involved in the uncoupling.

Photos from the Washington Metrorail Safety Commission show the separated railcars.

Tuesday's uncoupling was the second such occurrence in less than two months on the Red Line.

On Oct. 9, two cars of a Metro train uncoupled while traveling between Union Station and NoMa-Gallaudet with more than 100 people aboard. No injuries were reported.

Some riders on that train told News4 they were stuck for nearly three hours.

Contact Us