Community events and a law enforcement drill may make it harder to get around over the weekend.
On Sunday, a police drill will force the Red Line platforms at Chinatown-Gallery Place and Metro Center to close. Other lines will operate as scheduled at these stations.
D.C. Police say the public should be prepared to find alternate entrances and should expect a large police presence downtown on Sunday.
Here is what police advise:
- [At] Metro Center use the 12th & F and 12th & G streets entrances to access Orange, Silver and Blue line trains. Entrances at 11th & G and 13th & G streets will be closed.
- [At] Gallery Place use the 7th & H streets entrance to access Green and Yellow line trains. Entrances at 9th & G and 7th & F streets will be closed.
- There will be no elevator access to the Yellow and Green lines at Gallery Place during the drill. Use Archives as an alternate.
- Customers at these stations should follow directional signs and avoid crossing police lines or barricades.
Buses will replace Red Line trains between Farragut North and Judiciary Square from opening until approximately 2 p.m. Customers should tap their SmarTrip card when exiting and re-entering the Metrorail system from shuttle buses. Riders traveling through the work zone will be charged for a single, continuous trip.
Members of the public in and around Gallery Place may notice a large number of law enforcement and emergency vehicles. People may also hear sounds from simulated ammunition (blanks) during the drill. Please be assured that this is only a drill.
Roads were closed Saturday for the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure near the National Mall, the 17th Annual Arlington Police, Fire and Sheriff Memorial 9/11 5K in Arlington and the Rosslyn Jazz Festival.
Here's the full rundown of street closures:
Washington, D.C.: Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure
D.C. Police say:
Street Closures and No Parking will begin on Saturday, September 8, 2018, from approximately 12:00 am to approximately 12:00 pm:
- Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, between 9th and 14th Streets, NW
- 400 block of 13th Street, NW
The following streets will be closed and posted as Emergency No Parking for the race route, from approximately 8:30 am to approximately 11:00 am:
- START: Pennsylvania Avenue, NW between 12th and 13th Streets, NW
- Proceed East on Pennsylvania Avenue, NW to 3rd Street, NW
- Turn South onto 3rd Street, NW
- Turn West onto Independence Avenue on the North side
- Proceed to 7th Street and the turnaround at 7th Street & Independence Avenue
- Proceed Eastbound on the South side of Independence Avenue, SW to 4th St, SW;
- Turn South on 4th Street, SW and proceed to D Street, SW;
- Turn East on D Street, SW
- Turn North on 3rd Street, SW
- Turn West onto Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
- FINISH: Proceed to Pennsylvania and 12th Street, NW and disband
Arlington, Virginia: 17th Annual Arlington Police, Fire and Sheriff Memorial 9/11 5K
Arlington County Police say:
From 3:00 p.m. until 8:00 p.m.
- Army Navy Drive closed between S. 12th St. to S. Eads St.
From 5:45 p.m. until approximately 6:30 p.m.
- Westbound Army Navy Drive closed from S. Eads St. to S. Joyce St. Note: All streets crossing Army Navy Dr. (including access to I-395 S/B) will be closed for approximately 20 minutes
- S. Joyce Street closed from Army Navy to Columbia Pike
- Columbia Pike closed from Pentagon South Parking to S. Joyce St.
- I-395 Northbound HOV exit to S. Eads St. will be closed.
From 5:45 p.m. until approximately 8:00 p.m.
- Westbound Washington Blvd closed from Memorial Bridge to I-395
- Southbound Rt. 110 closed from Rosslyn to S. 15th Street.
- Marshall Dr. closed at Rt. 110
- S. Eads St closed from Army Navy Drive to S. 11th St.
Parking will also be restricted in the area.
Rosslyn, Virginia: 2018 Rosslyn Jazz Festival
Arlington County Police say:
The Rosslyn Jazz Festival will take place at Gateway Park located at 1300 Lee Highway on Saturday, September 8, 2018. Set up will begin at approximately 10:00 AM and clean-up should be completed by 8:00 PM, with the actual event time from 1:00 PM until 7:00 PM. The Arlington County Police Department will conduct the following road closures to accommodate this event:
- Eastbound lanes of Lee Highway, between Fort Myer Drive and Lynn Street, will be closed from 10:00 AM to 8:00 PM. Detour signs will be posted.
- North 19th Street, between Fort Myer Drive and N. Moore Street, will be closed from 10:00 AM to 8:00 PM.
- Exit 73 from Eastbound Rt. 66 to Rosslyn will be closed from 12:00 PM to 8:00 PM.
- Eastbound Lee Highway will be closed at N. Rhodes Street from 12:00 PM to 8:00 PM. Drivers are highly encouraged to use N. Veitch Street or N. Rhodes Street as alternate routes to access the Courthouse or Rosslyn areas.
- The event is expected to produce heavy pedestrian traffic throughout the area. Event attendees are urged to use other modes of transportation such as the Metro to reduce vehicular traffic. Drivers should be prepared for delays if they do not choose to DETOUR around the event.
- DETOUR: Local traffic within the closure zone wishing to access Rt. 66 or the Key Bridge by way of Lee Highway EAST should exit Lee Highway at 1) Veitch Street, 2) Rhodes Street, 3) Quinn Street, or finally 4) Fort Myer Drive and use Wilson Boulevard to access Lynn Street.
Street parking in the area will be restricted.