18-Year-Old Man Accused of Making Threat to Fairfax School Turns Self in to Police

An 18-year-old man accused of threatening a high school in Fairfax, Virginia, turned himself in about 2:30 p.m. Monday, police said.

Ishmael O'Brien Lionel Harrison made threats on Twitter to Fairfax High School on Wednesday, Feb. 21, the Fairfax City Police Department said. 

"I have been planning this for months now and now I am going to act. Better watch out Fairfax," one tweet read. 

"I'm coming and no one can stop me," another tweet read.

Students reported the threats to the school resource officer.

When police initially interviewed Harrison, they found no evidence of firearms. But as their investigation continued, investigators received new information that prompted them to secure a search-and-arrest warrant for Harrison. 

During a search of his home Friday, officers found 200 rounds of ammunition used for AR-15 rifles and video of him shooting at a gun range.


Washington, D.C., Maryland and Virginia local news, events and information

Covid levels ‘very high' in DC region

Young child wounded, 2 men killed in Southeast DC quadruple shooting

The suspect's mother, Kendra Harrison, says the police did not find any AR-15 ammunition in her home. She also said her son is harmless and she doesn't believe he authored those tweets.

“And I have not slept ever since this has happened,” she said as she tried to hold back tears. “I can’t eat; I can’t function. This kid is not the person they’re making him out to be. He is a wonderful child.”

Police attempted to serve Harrison warrants for threatening to commit serious bodily harm to persons on school property and possession of child pornography, which his mother said was a photo of a friend only a few months younger.

Police couldn't find him until he surrendered Monday afternoon.

As his mother brought him in to surrender, she was arrested on an outstanding warrant for a theft case in Prince William County.

She bonded out, but her son is still in jail.

Fairfax City police worked with state and federal law enforcement officials in their search for Harrison.

“We’ve worked closely together as a team to ensure that the threat was quickly mitigated and now ended,” Fairfax City Police Department Chief Carl Pardiny said.

The department said it has and will continue to provide an enhanced police presence at all of the city's schools.

Contact Us