One Man Arrested for Threats Near White House

"I don't care if children or veterans are harmed by the bomb," suspect said, according to court documents

A lawyer for a Pennsylvania man charged with making threats about a car bomb near the White House has requested a mental health screening for the suspect.

Krzyztof Wasik, 44, has been charged with threatening and conveying false information concerning use of an explosive.

Authorities say Wasik allegedly approached one of the guard shacks north of the White House around 4:35 a.m. Wednesday and and told a Secret Service officer that he wanted to speak to the president because he was upset about the rules and fines concerning semi-trucks.

The officer  told him that wasn't possible, and that Wasik could contact a traffic agency instead; Wasik agreed and walked away, according to charging documents.

However, he returned about 10 minutes later and allegedly told the officer, "I know what it takes to get things done around here. I have a bomb in my truck parked 500 feet from here."

Wasik was arrested at the scene, and officers quickly found a semi-cab tractor bearing Pennsylvania plates parked about a block away in front of the Veterans' Affairs Building.

According to charging documents, Wasik overheard a radio conversation about the discovery of the vehicle, at which point he told officers, "Don't touch the keys in the ignition or else something bad will happen.... I don't care if children or veterans are harmed by the bomb. I only care about speaking to the president."

The Secret Service, assisted by the Military Explosive Ordinance Disposal Team, Metropolitan Police, and D.C. Fire and EMS, responded to the scene.

Authorities inspected the vehicle and determined there was no bomb inside, reported News4's Tony Tull.

Wasik is being held without bond and is due back in court Friday afternoon.

The Veterans' Affairs Building was evacuated during the investigation. The incident led also led to the closure of several D.C. streets and the McPherson Square Metro station for two hours as a precaution, which complicated the early morning commute. Streets began reopening around 6:45 a.m.

Stay with NBCWashington and News4 for more on this developing story.

Contact Us