The U.S. Secret Service is warning that people may hear gunfire this weekend near the White House and U.S. Naval Observatory.
The Secret Service is testing a system that indicates the source and direction of gunshots, they announced Friday night. As part of the tests Saturday and "into the early morning hours" of Sunday, multiple rounds will be fired from various weapons in three-shot increments.
The system "provides real-time detection and geolocation of gunshots fired within proximity of protected sites," a statement from the Secret Service says.
The following streets near the White House and the Naval Observatory, where Vice President Mike Pence lives, will be closed:
- Constitution Avenue closed from 15th Street to 17th Street NW
- 15th Street NW closed from Pennsylvania Avenue to Constitution Avenue
- 17th Street NW closed from Constitution Avenue and E Street and New York Avenue
- E Street NW closed from 15th Street to 17th Street
- Observatory Circle closed from Massachusetts Avenue to the south gate of the Naval Observatory