D.C. Mansion Murders: Investigators Searching Cellphone Records of Savopoulos Assistant

Signs of forced entry at burning D.C. mansion where bodies of family, housekeeper found

Authorities investigating a brutal quadruple murder at a D.C. mansion last month are reviewing the cellphone records of a victim's assistant, a man who at one point lied to police about details involving the delivery of a package containing $40,000 cash on the day of the killings.

Investigators requested a search warrant for the cellphone records of Jordan Wallace, an employee of victim Savvas Savopoulos. Authorities want to determine where Wallace was and with whom he spoke and texted in the days surrounding the slayings. Wallace has allowed police to see his phone and view his text messages.

The bodies of Savvas and Amy Savopoulos and their 10-year-old son, Philip, were found in their burning home in an upscale D.C. neighborhood May 14. Their housekeeper, Veralicia "Vera" Figueroa, was also murdered.

One suspect, Daron Dylon Wint, has been arrested in the slayings, but investigators say they have reason to believe that more than one person was involved in carrying out the crime.

Savvas and Amy Savopolous' cellphones, as well as their housekeeper's cellphone, have been missing since the crime, according to other search warrants obtained by News4 on Wednesday. Police are seeking the phones, believing that call detail records and cell tower locations could lead authorities to the person who took the phones.

In addition to the cellphones, the data recorder for the home's surveillance cameras also was taken from the house.

News4 also learned Wednesday that a set of French doors at the family's home was apparently kicked in, leading authorities to believe that the killer or killers used forced entry to gain access.

A bootprint found on the door was not consistent with the boots worn by D.C. firefighters, authorities said, and firefighters did not enter the home through that door, according to preliminary interviews.

Police believe the victims were kept bound and threatened overnight before they were killed and the multimillion-dollar home was set on fire.

The day of the murders, a delivery of $40,000 cash was dropped off outside the house. The cash was withdrawn from an account at American Iron Works, where Savvas Savopoulos served as CEO and where Wint once worked.

Wallace, called W-1 in previous police documents, initially told police that he received a text from Savvas Savopoulos the morning of May 14, instructing him to meet another employee that morning to pick up a package.

Later, when confronted by police, he said he received the request the evening of May 13.

Prosecutors say Wallace also lied about how he picked up and dropped off the money, telling police he was given an envelope with $40,000 in it and put that in a locked car. In fact, he was given four bundles of cash, and the car was unlocked. Wallace also took a picture of the cash and texted it to an unidentified witness, according to police.

Authorities are receiving Wallace's phone records.

Other search warrants filed in the case involve the 2013 Chevrolet Cruze in which Wint was a passenger just before his arrest, as well as a Ford box truck driven by companions of Wint and containing alleged evidence. A court document said U.S. marshals saw "a large stack" of what appeared to be $100 bills in the truck.

Investigators are searching both vehicles for money, money wrappers, cellphones and call logs, any bloody clothing or shoes, anything with an odor of gasoline, gloves, duct tape, forensic evidence and more.

Contact Us