Man Smoking While Using Oxygen Mask Started Md. Fire

A man who was smoking while using an oxygen mask started a fire at an Silver Spring apartment Tuesday night. 

The fire started just before 9 p.m. in the first-floor bedroom of an apartment on the 100 block of Schuyler Road. When firefighters arrived, heavy fire was showing in the back of the building.

Firefighters had to help several people get out of the building.

Fire officials believe a man who was smoking while wearing an oxygen mask started the fire. The man, who is in his mid 60s, was taken to the hospital with smoke inhalation.

Montgomery County Fire spokesman Pete Piringer said several families were  displaced. The Red Cross will be assisting them.

Contact Us