Last-Minute TD Gives Redskins Win vs. Eagles

Dominating the time of possession, the Washington Redskins drove down the field in the fourth quarter before Pierre Garcon caught a 4 yard touchdown pass with 26 seconds left, giving the Redskins a 23-20 win over the Philadelphia Eagles.

Kirk Cousins finished with 289 yards on 31 of 46 passing and that last minute touchdown. He also ran in from 1 yard out for a rushing score.

Alfred Morris rushed for 62 yards, Chris Thompson had 52 yards, and the team had 125 yard total. They also possessed the ball for more than 41 minutes in the game.

The Redskins started off slow on their opening drive, plagued by penalties. However, a 42 yard run by Chris Thompson moved the team down the field. The drive stalled as they near the goal line, setting up a short field goal by kicker Dustin Hopkins and an early 3-0 lead.

Three and out for the Eagles after a sack of quarterback Sam Bradford. The Redskins offense moved down the field again but, once again, had to settle for another Hopkins field goal extended the lead to 6-0 in the first quarter.

The Eagles offense sputtered again to start the second half but a great punt pinned the Redskins back at the 2 yard line. This time, the Eagles defense held strong, forcing Washington to punt from their end zone.

The Redskins defense held strong again with a sack against Bradford, forcing yet another punt. Quarterback Kirk Cousins moved the team down the field. Aided by a pass interference call in the end zone, Cousins was able to score after picking up a fumbled snap, giving Washington a 13-0 lead.

The Eagles looked to have some life after a long Bradford to Nelson Agholor, but a fumble on an end around gave the ball back to the Redskins.

The Redskins couldn’t move the ball, punting to returner Darren Sproles, who took it 45 yards and gave the Eagles good field position before the half. A 33 yard field goal as time expired missed.

The Eagles took the second half kickoff down the field and got a touchdown as Bradford threw it over the top to wide receiver Riley Cooper. However, the extra point was missed so the Redskins still led 13 – 6.

Three straight runs by the Redskins resulted in a punt and personal foul. A questionable personal foul on the defense gave the Eagles field position inside the 20. A broken play gave Bradford the chance to find tight end Brent Celek for a TD and tied the game up in the third quarter.

The Redskins responded with a 9 play, 65 yard drive, and Hopkins booted a 33 yard field goal to give Washington the lead again with about 4 minutes to go in the third quarter.

Another three and out for the Eagles gave the ball back to the Redskins. However, a fumble by Jordan Reed gave the ball back to the Eagles just as the third quarter ended.

The Eagles wasted no time, scoring on a 39 yard touchdown pass to Miles Austin after another questionable personal foul call against the Redskins. This time, the extra point was good and Philadelphia led 20-16 with 14:40 to go in the game.

Both defenses tightened up in the fourth quarter and the teams traded punts a couple of times. The Redskins got the ball deep in their own territory with about five minutes to go in the game.

Cousins drove the team down the field, using up as much clock as possible, and got inside the 20 yard line. A quick strike to Pierre Garcon got the team to the 4 yard line.

Garcon then made a sensational grab with 26 seconds to go to give the Redskins the lead, 23-20.

Contact Us