Metro riders encountered crowded platforms and delays in both directions on the Red Line due to a track problem at Gallery Place during the height of Tuesday evening's rush.
DC Fire & EMS crews responded to the Metro station for the report of smoke in a tunnel.
Trains single-tracked between Farragut North and Judiciary Square for about 90 minutes starting shortly before 5 p.m. Tuesday.
Metro suggested riders consider the Green Line as an alternate via the Gallery Place or Fort Totten stations.
Riders could also use one of the following Metrobus lines, Metro suggested:
- Westbound Metrobus X2 and 80 toward Farragut
- Eastbound Metrobus 80 and D6 toward Union Station
- Metrobus 70 and 79 north toward Silver Spring (from Gallery Place)
- Metrobus 30N, 30S, 32, 34 and 36 toward Eastern Market/Potomac Avenue (from National Archives)
- Metrobus 30N, 30S, 32, 34 and 36 toward Farragut North (from National Archives)
Photos posted on social media by Metro riders showed packed platforms.