Police Identify Man Found Dead on Road in Riverdale

Police have identified the man who was found dead early Sunday on a road in Riverdale, Maryland, as 31-year-old Santos Morales.

Morales lived on Riverdale Road in Riverdale, Prince George's County Police said in a release Thursday, two days after they released a composite sketch of the man in hopes of identifying his body.

Someone found Morales in the 6200 block of 60th Avenue about 4:10 a.m. Sunday, police have said. He was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Police have said Morales died of trauma to the body, but investigators didn't yet know what caused the trauma. His manner of death was ruled a homicide.

A man who said he discovered Morales told News4 the man's body was partially exposed.

Detectives are still working to identify a suspect or suspects and motive. Investigators canvassed the area Tuesday evening in hopes of getting more information.

"I was just thinking how did that happen here?" Marty Newhouse, the head of the community association, said Sunday. "We're very engaged. Neighbors know neighbors. They look out for one another, so this was just a shock."

A reward of up to $25,000 is offered for information leading to an arrest and indictment in the killing.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Homicide Unit at 301-772-4925. Those wishing to remain anonymous may call Crime Solvers at 866-411-TIPS (8477), text "PGPD" plus their message to CRIMES (274637) or submit a tip online at

Prince George's County has seen a string of homicides in July. This victim was the 13th man killed in 16 days.

The homicides occurred across the large county. In one case, a 55-year-old father of four was shot on the Capital Beltway as he headed home. In another case, two men in their 20s were shot in Suitland. One victim ran into a Popeyes restaurant for help.

In response to the violence, police have extended shifts to 12 hours, keeping officers on the job an extra two hours per day to try to prevent more homicides.

"It's a measured and temporary response to something we're seeing," Police Chief Hank Stawinski said. "I'm confident that the men and women of this department will bring stability and then we'll move back to normal operations quickly."

Contact Us