D.C. prosecutors announced Tuesday that they will not charge against a contracted security guard who shot a stabbing suspect at Union Station last year.
The guard, a special police officer, fatally shot 57-year-old William Thomas Wilson Jr., of Southeast D.C., after police say Wilson stabbed a woman and pointed a knife at a guard.
The U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia said Tuesday there is "insufficient evidence to pursue federal criminal civil rights or local charges" against the officer. They could not prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the officer used excessive force or possessed criminal intent in the shooting, they said.
The chain of events unfolded around 12:45 p.m. on Sept. 11, 2015.
Prosecutors say Wilson was arguing with a woman in the corridor between the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and Union Station when the woman told an unarmed security officer that she had a restraining order against Wilson and that he was threatening to kill her.
Prosecutors say a second unarmed security officer tried to intervene, but Wilson took out a knife and stabbed the woman multiple times in front of several people. Three armed special police officers arrived, drew their weapons and ordered Wilson to drop the knife, prosecutors say, but Wilson ran into the busy train station.
NO Active Shooter at Union Station. Investigation underway. More to follow.— DC Police Department (@DCPoliceDept) September 11, 2015
MPD is on the scene at Union Station with multiple LE agencies. There is NOT an active shooter situation.— DC Police Department (@DCPoliceDept) September 11, 2015
An officer tried to subdue Wilson near the McDonald's at Gate L, but authorities say Wilson turned and pointed the knife at the guard, lunging at him. The guard fired one shot, which hit Wilson.
Wilson was taken to a hospital, where he died later that day.
The woman was also transported to the hospital with multiple stab wounds. Officials said they believed the event was the result of a domestic dispute.
Prosecutors said Tuesday that they and D.C. police conducted a "comprehensive" review of the incidence, which included interviews of security personnel and civilian witnesses, video footage, physical evidence and other evidence.
"After a careful, thorough and independent review of the evidence, federal prosecutors have found insufficient evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the officer used excessive force under the circumstances known at the time or acted with the requisite criminal intent," the U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia said in a release.