A popular local restaurant chain stopped serving hummus after reports of diners infected with salmonella.
The Maryland Department of Health said nine cases of salmonella have been confirmed in Maryland since Sept. 10. Eight of those patients said they ate hummus from Moby Dick House of Kabob.
The restaurant chain, which has locations in Virginia and D.C. as well, voluntarily suspended hummus sales and advised anyone who has hummus from any Moby Dick House of Kabob restaurant should throw it out.
The University of Maryland recently reported three of its students became infected with salmonella.
Salmonella is among the most common bacterial foodborne illnesses and can cause symptoms like abdominal cramps, diarrhea and fever.
The Centers for Disease for Control and Prevention estimates salmonella causes about 1.2 million illnesses every year in the U.S. In about a million of those cases, food is the source.