Metro Returns to Normal Tuesday Morning After Collision of 2 Out-of-Service Trains

After a day of significant delays Monday on three of Metro's lines, the transit system told riders Tuesday morning to expect residual delays until about 6:30 a.m.

What to Know

  • Two out-of-service trains collided between the Foggy Bottom and Farragut West stations just before 1 a.m. Monday
  • Both trains' operators sustained minor injuries and were taken for medical treatment
  • There were no passengers aboard either train

Metro says normal service has resumed following significant delays Monday and residual delays early Tuesday on three of the transit system's rail lines.

The delays were due to a rear-end crash between two out-of-service trains about 1 a.m. Monday, just outside the Farragut West station in downtown D.C.

Early Tuesday, Metro told riders Tuesday morning to expect residual delays until about 6:30 a.m.

"Metro has resumed normal operations at Farragut West," the transit agency later tweeted.

The collision happened as two six-car trains were being moved to their respective rail yards, Metro said. The trains were headed in the same direction on the same track when one rear-ended the other.

In audio obtained by News4 transportation reporter Adam Tuss, one train operator told Metro's control center that it felt like "something ran into the back of me."

Both trains' operators sustained minor injuries and were taken for medical treatment. They were released from the hospital Monday morning. There were no passengers aboard either train at the time of the collision.

Throughout Monday, trains ran only at 15-minute intervals on the Orange, Silver and Blue lines. In addition, the Silver Line was operating only in a stretch from Reston to Ballston, and the Blue and Orange lines were single-tracking between Farragut West and McPherson Square.

Metro was assessing damage to the cars Monday but said there was no damage reported to tunnel infrastructure. All cars remained on the tracks. 

Hours after the crash, Metro's investigation was still ongoing, and so were riders' struggles. They faced crowded platforms and trains, delays and even trains that were bypassing stations.

"I didn't expect a train to pass me by," said one rider on Monday, who added that she was glad she was retired and didn't have to worry about making it to work.

Unlike many passengers, another woman had a big smile on her face. "I'm on time," she said, noting that her delay was only about two minutes.

Other commuters took to Twitter to express their frustration and confusion. Some were stymied by the Silver Line, which was only running along a stretch from Ballston to Reston, while others complained about the seeming lack of eight-car trains during Monday morning's rush.

The transit agency is investigating to determine the cause of the collision, including analyzing event recorders and inspecting railcar and signal systems, Metro said. The train operators were interviewed by investigators and had routine drug and alcohol testing conducted.

Metro also notified the Metropolitan Washington Safety Commission and the National Transportation Safety Board.


Washington, D.C., Maryland and Virginia local news, events and information

Teen arrested in connection to 2023 double homicide shooting

Founding member of Capital Pride Alliance dies at 68

D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser said Monday she had been briefed on the situation.

Contact Us