Some Arrests Saturday Night in Baltimore

Some people were arrested Saturday night in Baltimore when some demonstrators stayed on city streets — and some bottles were thrown — after the 10 p.m. curfew. 

The arrests followed a day of peaceful and celebratory protests. Still, Baltimore Police Commissioner Anthony Batts said the city's 10 p.m. curfew will remain throughout the weekend. 

"The violence of last Monday was unprecedented." Batts said, "We all want to get back to normal and have the city running in the right direction."

He continued to say the curfew will stay to prevent riots and looting from happening again.

Major General Linda Singh, with the National Guard, also made a statement at the press conference, asking for "patience" and emphasizing the military's duty for safety in the city.

"The most important thing is safety, safety of the infrastructure here because without that, we do not have Baltimore," Singh said. The National Guard was called into the city earlier this week when a state of emergency was declared.

"My focus is ensuring we keep everything in a safe manner and that we, the military pull, out the same way we came in, very calm. I really want us to be peaceful tonight, to be calm. Let’s be patient, then we can all get home," the general said, referring to her troops.

Baltimore police said they arrested 38 people in incidents related to protests Friday, and arrested 15 curfew-breakers Friday night.

The city is "no longer under tactical alert," Sgt. Jarron Jackson said at a brief press conference late Friday night.

Marchers had remained on Baltimore's streets after a 10 p.m. curfew fell Friday, defying police. The marches seemed to die down shortly before 11 p.m. -- thanks in part to police who arranged themselves in long lines, carrying transparent shields, to herd the protesters off the streets.

In a series of tweets, Baltimore police said the protesters remained in Baltimore's War Memorial Plaza "in violation of the curfew" and that officers were arresting protesters who refused to leave. 

Earlier in the evening, a more jubilant crowd gathered at the Pennsylvania and North avenues intersection in West Baltimore. More than 100 people were dancing in the streets Friday night and chanting "Freddie" to celebrate charges against six officers in connection with Freddie Gray's death.

The marches followed peaceful and celebratory gatherings Friday, expressing support of the charges filed against six police officers in the death of Freddie Gray. 

Demonstrations also broke out in other major U.S. cities, including Chicago and Oakland.

The Baltimore protesters said they planned to march to the Baltimore City Detention Center, where at least three of the officers are being held. As they marched, they chanted, "no justice, no peace" and "we support Freddie Gray."

People in Baltimore are celebratory after the State’s Attorney announced charges against officers involved in Freddie Gray’s arrest. News4’s Tracee Wilkins reports.

A large crowd gathered earlier in the afternoon at West North Street and Pennsylvania Avenue in Baltimore -- the intersection where rioters gathered Monday, damaging some stores and businesses.

Cars honked as they traveled by, as marchers waved flags and signs. Police gathered, too,  though the interaction between the police and marchers was peaceful.

One mother brought her young son to the march.

"He's here because I just wanted him to have a minute of euphoria before the realistic work of seeking real justice happens," said Baltimore resident Elissa Blount-Moorhead. "It's so rare that we even have this minue of happy celebration.

"And he asked me, in his terms, about accountability and punishment," Blount-Moorhead said. "I explained to him that people were happy because this is the first time that we feel that there is going to be accountability."

Groups organizing some of the marches have announced plans for a "victory rally" Saturday in Baltimore.

[NATL] PHOTOS: Protests in Baltimore Over Death of Freddie Gray

Contact Us