Two people were hurt, one critically, after a manhole exploded Monday morning in the Dupont Circle area.
The explosion occurred at about 11:30 a.m. in the 1500 block of 19th Street NW.
Those injured were Pepco contract workers working underground on power lines. The workers were removing old wiring from beneath the street near the Dupont Hotel when they apparently clipped a live wire.
One of the workers suffered critical burns to the face. The other complained of smoke inhalation.
Original reports had three people being injured.