social media

Man Suing Metro Transit Police Officers Following Stun Gun Incident

A man has filed a lawsuit against three Metro Transit Police officers after he was arrested and repeatedly hit with a stun gun this summer.

Video circulated on social media of the June 22 arrest at the U Street Metro station.

The video appears to show two MTPD officers asking questions of two juveniles on a Metro platform, while Musonza asks questions of the officers. Then, a third MTPD officer engages Musonza, pushes him back and repeatedly uses a stun gun after Musonza raises his hands.

"It’s a very traumatic experience for me," Musonza told News4 on Monday.

Musonza said he was waiting for a train at the station that evening when he saw an officer arresting a teen. Musonza said the officer had the teen's face down on the ground. He asked the officer if the suspect was a minor and if the officer could take the teen out of that position on the ground.

"I did not interfere. I was worried about the child's welfare," Musonza said.

According to Musonza, other officers walked up who didn't know what was happening and the situation quickly escalated.

The officers used a stun gun on Musonza's groin, back, buttocks, knees, inner thighs and legs and threw him to the ground, his attorneys say.

The lawsuit claims the officers used excessive force, failed to read Musonza his Miranda rights during the arrest and didn't allow him a phone call during his time in jail.

Metro Transit Police charged Musonza with assault on a police officer, obstruction of justice and resisting arrest, but the charges were later dropped.

"It was a sign of relief and confirmation because I didn't do anything wrong," Musonza said.

Musonza's lawyers say the arrest remains on his record.

The lawsuit also claims Musonza has suffered chronic pain, liver damage, insomnia, post concussive disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder due to the incident and he has to take several medications, including anti-depressants.

Contact Us