Man Dies After Teens, 15 & 16, Attack Him at Frederick Fair: Sheriff

The teen suspects currently face assault charges

A man has died after two teenagers attacked him at an agricultural fair in Maryland, authorities say.

Deputies found the 59-year-old man unconscious on the ground at the Great Frederick Fair after getting a report about an assault at the fairgrounds about 5:30 p.m. Friday, The Frederick County Sheriff's Office said.

Medics responded and flew him to the R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore. He died at the trauma center on Saturday, the sheriff's office said.

Witnesses told authorities the attack was unprovoked.

Deputies arrested two suspects, ages 15 and 16. The 15-year-old boy was charged with first-degree assault, second-degree assault and reckless endangerment, the sheriff's office said. The 16-year-old boy was charged with second-degree assault.

The teens didn't use any weapons in the attack, according to the sheriff's office.

Authorities say the victim's body was taken to the medical examiner's office for an autopsy and there could be additional charges brought against the teens.

A person riding the ferris wheel at the fair posted photos and videos on social media showing a significant police presence. Several officers appear to break up a large group of teens and at one point at least 20 officers lined across a walkway at the fair. Officers are also seen detaining some of the teens.

Deputies are asking anyone with more information about the assault to call 301-600-1046 or the tip line at 301-600-4131.

A spokesperson for the Great Frederick Fair released the following statement:

"The Great Frederick Fair’s number one priority is the safety and security of our guests. To dispel rumors of the events of last night, while there was an assault, there was NO shooting and NO stabbing. The team of security and law enforcement was able to respond rapidly to control and contain the incident. The investigation into this incident remains active and any further information regarding the assault will be released from the Sheriff’s Office."

Contact Us