Abigail Vesoulis

Malfunctioning Electrical Outlet Caused Maryland Fire That Killed Mother and Son

The cause of a Temple Hills, Maryland, house fire that killed a mother and son earlier this month has been determined, fire officials said Monday.

A malfunctioning electrical outlet was the source of the Nov. 15 fire on the 5200 block of Lorraine Drive, Prince George’s County fire investigators said.

The family had no working smoke detectors in the house.

Louvenia Goldson, 83, and Eugene Goldson, 62, both died after being pulled from the burning house and taken to a hospital.

Two firefighters were taken to a burn unit with burns to their ears. They were expected to be OK after treatment, fire officials said.

At the time of the fire, neighbors said they had rushed to the house to help, but the flames were too intense for them to continue.

"All I heard was, 'Help, help! Please help me!'" neighbor Brandon Clay said. 

Any family that is in need of a working smoke detector and cannot afford one is encouraged to call 311, officials said. A firefighter will come to your home and install one for free. 

Contact Us