Lawyer Remains in Jail on DUI, Manslaughter Charges in Death of Virginia Couple

Lawyer facing DUI and manslaughter charges in a crash that killed an Ashburn, Va., couple

A bond hearing for a lawyer charged with DUI and two counts of manslaughter in the deaths of a Nothern Virginia couple ended with him being ordered to stay in jail -- for now.

Investigators say Mark Sgarlata, 52, of Ashburn, was driving drunk just after midnight Oct. 6 when he made a left turn into a shopping center, smashing into Ricky and Leia Wrenn on their motorcycle. The Navy veteran and his wife were killed.

Sgarlata, a partner at a Tysons Corner law firm, has been in police custody since then.

During Friday's hearing, a judge set a $25,000 bond for Sgarlata, but the prosecutor immediately appealed and asked for no bond. The judge stayed the bond, which means Sgarlata will remain in jail at least until an appeal to Circuit Court.

Relatives and friends of the Wrenns filled several rows in the courthouse for the hearing.  They, too, say they want Sgarlata to stay behind bars.

According to court documents, Sgarlata registered a .223 blood alcohol level in a breath test administered at the scene. Another test given later registered .15, almost twice the legal limit.

A deputy at the scene wrote in the arrest records, "Sgarlata had slurred speech with a heavy odor of alcohol coming from his breath. Sgarlata was unsteady on his feet and was found with his pants unbuckled and shirt unbuttoned. Mr. Sgarlata admitted to drinking five glasses of wine before the crash."

Sgarlata was initially ordered held without bond.

He had faced another DUI charge in the past. Records show arrested in March 2011, but the charge was pleaded down to reckless driving. He had a restricted license for six months.

Relatives of the couple who died said 46-year-old Ricky Wrenn was a manager for ADT Security Systems, overseeing security at Dulles International Airport and Reagan National Airport.

The Wrenns were motorcycle enthusiasts and belonged to the Iron Order Motorcycle Club. They had spent Sunday with the group before heading home.

They would have celebrated their seventh anniversary this month.

Contact Us