Improperly Disposed Smoking Materials Started Haymarket Fire

Improperly disposed smoking materials started a fire that injured one man and damaged three townhouses in Haymarket, Virginia, Friday morning, fire officials say. 

The fire started just before 3 a.m. on the back deck of a townhouse on the 15800 block of Mackenzie Manor Drive. By the time firefighters arrived, flames from the deck were already reaching the roof.

The man who lives in the home suffered minor injuries. Two neighboring homes also were damaged.

Fire officials say improperly disposed smoking materials started the blaze. 

Prince William County Fire and Rescue Chief Kevin McGee says residents should always be careful when throwing away cigarettes and cigars. 

“Smoking materials are the leading cause of fire deaths and, although unintentional, the majority of home smoking-material fires are caused by human error,” McGee said. 

Contact Us