Kidnapping, Census Bureau Shooting Suspect Was Due in Court Friday on Assault Charges

The suspect in Thursday's kidnapping, fatal shooting at the U.S. Census Bureau headquarters and wild police chase through D.C. had been due in court Friday on charges of assaulting the woman he's now accused of abducting.

Ronald Anderson's deadly rampage appears to be related to a Feb. 17 incident at the Suitland apartment he shared with his girlfriend.

Court records indicate neighbors called 911, and when officers arrived, the victim was shaking, crying and whispering because she was afraid of the suspect hearing her. Reluctantly, she told police Anderson, 48, smacked her several times and she fell into the walls in the hallway, bedroom and bathroom, according to court documents.

Police noted the 20-year-old woman's 10-month-old son was with her.

The victim moved out of the apartment shortly afterward and attempted to keep her whereabouts hidden from Anderson.

It's not clear how he discovered where she was Thursday when he allegedly kidnapped the woman in the 300 block of T Street NE about 5:40 p.m. Thursday.

As police were getting word of the kidnapping, Anderson allegedly drove to the headquarters of the U.S. Census Bureau in Suitland, Maryland, where a security guard at the Census Bureau, 59-year-old Lawrence Buckner saw him arguing with someone in the car about 6 p.m. Buckner was shot when he approached, D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier said.

About 7:30 p.m., D.C. police spotted the gunman's car and attempted to stop him at 7th and Chesapeake streets SE, but he failed to stop and fired at the pursuing officers.

He shot at pursuing police again at 3rd and K streets NE, Lanier said. As the pursuit continued south on 3rd Street NE, the gunman fired on police a third time.

In the area of 11th and H streets, a busy section of Northeast D.C., police were able to block the Anderson's path with their cruisers, causing a collision with his dark green Honda Accord. In an exchange of gunfire with police, Anderson was shot multiple times, police said.

A D.C. police officer who was shot during the rampage is expected to be OK.

Buckner died at Prince George's Hospital Center.

Police said in a news release that the woman who was allegedly kidnapped was found safe. It's unclear how or when she got out of the car.

Anderson is charged with in D.C. with kidnapping while armed and assault on a police officer while armed. He remains hospitalized.

Anderson's adult criminal record begins with a 1991 manslaughter conviction. After spending 19 years in prison, Anderson has been charged with reckless driving in 2011, DUI in 2012 and possession of a controlled substance in 2013.

Jeanette McClary, the suspect's neighbor, said she was scared when she heard police bang on her Anderson's door Thursday night.

"I heard a lot of policeman. A lot of commotion," she said."...I couldn't go to sleep. I was afraid, wondering what was going on."

Contact Us