Juvenile Is 5th Suspect Arrested in Killing of 10-Year-Old Makiyah Wilson

A juvenile has been arrested in the killing of Makiyah Wilson, the 10-year-old girl who was gunned down while heading to an ice cream truck in Northeast D.C. this summer, police say.

Marquell Cobbs, 16, of Northwest D.C. is the fifth person to be arrested in Wilson's death. He is charged as an adult with first-degree murder while armed.

School resource officers and members of the Capital Area Regional Fugitive Task Force arrested him Friday.

Wilson was killed on July 16 after four men jumped out of a car and opened fire on a group of people outside on a hot summer night. 

The little girl, who had recently finished fourth grade, was heading to an ice cream truck when the shooters fired on the 300 block of 53rd Street NE

The fourth arrest was made Thursday morning and came one day after three other suspects in the case appeared in court

Mark Tee Price, 24, was charged with premeditated first-degree murder while armed. Police said Price was already in DC Jail when he was charged in the murder.

Also charged in the case are Gregory Taylor, who was arrested last month, and Quentin Michals and Qujuan Thomas, who were taken into custody in August.

Juveniles Shot in DC in 2018

The victims include a 10-year-old girl who was killed and a 3-year-old boy who was hurt.

Source: NBC Washington reporting and Metropolitan Police Department press releases. NBC Washington submitted a Freedom of Information Act request for police data on all shootings of juveniles in 2018 thus far. The request is pending.
Note: Dates listed are the dates of the shootings, not, when applicable, the deaths of the victims. Map includes victims age 17 and younger.

In court Wednesday, prosecutors said Michals was the ringleader, organizing the shooting because of a beef he had with someone in Wilson's neighborhood. 

Michals, Taylor and Thomas were ordered to remain in jail after a judge found that there was strong enough evidence, including text messages, to keep them there. 

In one of the text messages, Thomas told Michals that he was going to bring a "100 Roun." Police believe they were talking about one of the weapons that was used in the shooting. 

The night that Wilson was killed, the gunmen fired more than 60 shots, got back into an Infiniti sedan and sped off. 

The little girl's family tried to save her, but she died. 

Four other people, including Wilson's 18-year-old sister, were shot and wounded.

Contact Us