Numerous road closures -- as well as some memorial closures -- will be in effect on Independence Day. Public transportation, walking and biking are great options if you're trying to get around, especially since many D.C. streets will be shut down.
Metro will be open from 7 a.m. to 3 a.m. Trains will run on the Saturday schedule until 2 p.m.; rush-hour service levels will ramp up before and after the fireworks. Rush hour fares may apply.
Metro says bicycles and large coolers are not permitted on trains because of large expected crowds.
Riders should consider stations other than the Smithsonian and Federal Triangle stations, since they have the heaviest load of passengers each Fourth of July. While the Smithsonian station will be open all day, after 9:30 p.m. it will become entrance-only.
In additionally, the area of the National Mall surrounding the Smithsonian station is closed due to construction, so would-be fireworkers viewers won't find a viewing spot there.
Remember to load up your SmarTrip or farecard in advance of July 4, so you won't have to wait in long lines to refill your card. See more July 4 Metro info here.
Washington, D.C., Maryland and Virginia local news, events and information
Metrobus and Circulator Info
On both Friday and Saturday, Metrobuses will run on their Saturday schedules. On July 4, expect detours around the National Mall. Metro Bus routes 30N, 30S, 32, 36, 39, 52, 54 and 74 all operate along the perimeter of the Mall at various locations.
The D.C. Circulator's National Mall route will not be running due to security reasons.
Cyclists can find a free "self-parking" bike area at 14th and 15th streets on Indenpendence Avenue SW.
Text 888777 with the message "july4dc" to receive updates on crowds, security alerts and more from the National Park Service.
If you must drive, be aware of that the following streets will be off-limits to vehicles Saturday, July 4:
Closed from 6 a.m. until approximately 10 p.m.:
- Arlington Memorial Bridge and Arlington Memorial Circle on the Virginia end, to and including Lincoln Memorial Circle in the District
- Rock Creek Parkway south of Virginia Avenue NW to Lincoln Memorial Circle, including all approaches and ramps
- Parkway Drive from Rock Creek Parkway to Lincoln Memorial Circle
- Henry Bacon Drive NW
- Daniel Chester French Drive SW
- Lincoln Memorial Circle and all approaches and ramps into and out of Lincoln Memorial Circle, including Henry Bacon Drive N, Daniel Chester French Drive SW, 23rd Street NW and 23rd Street SW
- Ramp from Theodore Roosevelt Memorial Bridge to Constitution Avenue NW and Independence Avenue SW and Ohio Drive SW; all inbound traffic from the bridge will be directed to the E Street Expressway
- Constitution Avenue NW from 23rd Street NW to 14th Street NW
- 7th Street NW from Constitution Avenue NW to Independence Avenue SW
- 4th Street NW from Constitution Avenue NW to Independence Avenue SW
- 15th Street NW from E Street NW south to Raoul Wallenberg Place SW
- 17th Street, NW from E Street NW south to Independence Avenue SW
- 18th Street NW between Constitution Avenue NW and Virginia Avenue NW
- 19th Street NW from Constitution Avenue NW to C Street NW
- 20th Street NW from Constitution Avenue NW to C Street NW
- 21st Street NW from Constitution Avenue NW to C Street NW
- 22nd Street NW from Constitution Avenue NW to C Street NW
- Virginia Avenue NW from Constitution Avenue NW to 18th Street NW
- C Street NW from 17th Street NW to 18th Street NW
- D Street NW from 17th Street NW to 18th Street NW
- Raoul Wallenberg Place SW to Maine Avenue SW
- Independence Avenue SW from 14th Street SW to 23rd Street SW, including merge with Rock Creek Parkway
- Madison Drive NW from 15th Street NW to 3rd Street NW Jefferson Drive SW from 15th Street SW to 3rd Street SW
- Ohio Drive, SW from the Inlet Bridge to Independence Avenue SW
- West Basin Drive SW from Ohio Drive SW to Independence Avenue SW
- East Basin Drive SW east of the Thomas Jefferson Memorial to Ohio Drive SW
- Ramp from southbound and northbound George Washington Memorial Parkway to Memorial Avenue/Circle
- Ramp from northbound Va. Route 110 to Memorial Avenue
Closed from 11 a.m. until approximately 10 p.m.:
- 3rd Street from Pennsylvania Avenue NW to Maryland Avenue SW
- Constitution Avenue NW from Pennsylvania Avenue NW to 14th Street NW
- 14th Street NW from Pennsylvania Avenue NW to Independence Avenue SW
- Right lane of northbound George Washington Memorial Parkway from the 14th Street Bridge to Theodore Roosevelt Island
Closed from 3 p.m. until approximately 12 a.m. on Sunday, July 5:
- Eastbound U.S. Route 50 ramps to the George Washington Memorial Parkway and roads in the immediate area of U.S. Marine Corps War Memorial;
- Southbound George Washington Memorial Parkway ramp to 14th Street Bridge (9 p.m.-9:45 p.m. as necessary)
- Northbound George Washington Memorial Parkway ramp to 14th Street Bridge (9 p.m.-9:45 p.m. as necessary)
Other July 4 Closures
- The Washington Monument will be closed.
- The World War II Memorial will close at 4 p.m. as part of the fireworks safety zone, the NPS says. Cleanup will begin immediately after the fireworks, and the memorial will reopen as soon as cleanup is done.
- The Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial will have limited access after 8 p.m.; the public won't be able to enter from the Independence Avenue side after 8 p.m. You will be able to access the memorial from West Basin and Ohio drives.
- The paddle boats at the Tidal Basin will be closed.
- Big Bus Tours will not operate on the Mall.
- The D.C. Circulator's National Mall route will not run.
- East Potomac Golf Course will close at 3:30 p.m.
- East Potomac Tennis Center will close at 3 p.m.